Sunday, September 26, 2010

Recharge: Claim the Small Victories

Life as a homeschooling parent is always busy. As a mom, I always feel challenged and I am constantly learning. Sometimes, though, the day to day blends together and it is hard for me to feel energized or excited. Sometimes I even feel a lack of greatness in what I am doing.

I think in these moments, I can learn the most by watching my children. They find joy and validation in the simplest victories, and I am usually right there cheering them on too.  Becoming my own cheerleader and claiming my own small victories reminds me that I have done well. Whether I have made dinner every night without succumbing to the fast food or delivery temptations, returned ALL the library books on time (no fines!), held my cool during a public child meltdown, or one of the 100’s of the should-do-but don’t-always-do parts of just being Mom, I am going to celebrate.

As adults, we get dulled to the “magic” of doing something for the first time or really doing something well. We raise our voices in cheers for our children, but rarely do it for ourselves or our spouses. Why?

This fall, I am making a special effort to claim my own victories and I am not going to do it silently. I am going to yell “Hurray!” when the books slide through the book slot, I will dance around the table on Friday night when the final home cooked meal for the week is served, I will indulge in a single piece of just-for-the-occasion- chocolate when I stay cool in the face of a meltdown, I will proclaim loudly “That is a beautifully folded stack of laundry!”

Will you join me? I would love to hear about your small victories and how you celebrated them.

Melissa is a dancing a jig for completing this post to share with you.  See her other mini celebrations at HopeSprouts.

photo credit

Like what you read? Share it with others:

No related posts.

Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.


View the original article here

No comments: